Celebrities such as Rebecca Romijn, Miranda Kerr, Lindsey Vonn, and Brooke Burke workout year round, and are great inspirations to get in shape. However, as the weather begins to get cooler, it becomes easier to talk yourself out of that walk or jog around the neighborhood. Outdoor sports go into hibernation mode, and we tend to put on a little bit of winter “insulation” rather than participating in cool weather exercises.
However, cool weather exercises are good for the body, and good for your feet. Keep regular check ups with our foot doctor, Dr. Schlam, to make sure that your feet are getting enough blood flow, have good sensation, and are strong and healthy. Call our Wappingers Falls office today at (845) 298 – 9074 or click here for your appointment today.
Benefits For Your Feet – Cool Weather Exercises:
- Increase blood flow to the feet
- Loosens stiff or pulled muscles in the calves and feet
- Strengthening of the arch of the feet
- Increased range of motion and mobility
Warning: Always check with your doctor before increasing the amount of physical activity you are getting or before beginning a new workout routine. Know your limits, and do not try to do things that are hard for you or that make you unsteady.
6 Cool Weather Exercises That Are Good For Your Legs and Feet (Especially for Diabetics):
- Take your dogs for a 1/2 hour- 1 hour walk daily.
- Try walking on a treadmill at Planet Fitness, at the mall such as the Poughkeepsie Galleria, or down long hallways at your workplace.
- Hold onto the back of a chair and go up on your tiptoes. Try doing this while standing on one foot at a time as well, and switch sides.
- Sit on a chair and cross your arms. Practice getting up slowly without using your arms 10 times.
- While standing, try to put all of your weight on one foot only, and then switch sides.
- Stand on one leg on a step stool next to a table that you can use for balance. Swing your other leg forwards and backwards 10 times. Switch sides.
Contact our office at (845) 298 – 9074 or click here to have any questions about winter exercise answered. Schedule your appointment today with Dr. Schlam at Hollowbrook Foot Specialists in Wappingers Falls, NY.
By: David Schlam, DPM