Checking up on your fantasy football team with picks such as Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Kirk Cousins, Victor Cruz, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, and Rashad Jennings is very important this time of the year. Did you know that diabetics should check their blood sugars just as often as you would check up on your fantasy football teams?
Checking on your blood sugar as frequently as you do your fantasy foot ball team may save your toes. Podiatrists like Dr. Schlam at Hollowbrook Foot Specialists in Wappingers Falls worry about their diabetic patient’s ability to control their blood sugars. Uncontrolled diabetes causes problems in the feet such as loss of sensation, ulcers, infections, and gangrene. If you see something on your foot that doesn’t look right call (845) 298 – 9074 immediately so we can get you a same day appointment. Waiting could cause you to lose your toe or even your foot.
Symptoms of LOW BLOOD SUGAR (Hypoglycemia):
- Fast Heartbeat
- Impaired Vision
What Should I do if I am Having Symptoms of LOW BLOOD SUGAR?
- Drink ½ a cup of juice/regular soft drink OR 1 cup of milk OR eat 2-3 soft candies. (ALL DIABETICS should also keep soft peppermints or caramel candies with them at all times. NO CHOCOLATE!)
- Test your blood sugar 10 – 15 minutes later.
- Eat ½ of a sandwich or drink ½ a cup of milk.
- If you are still having symptoms, call your diabetes doctor. If it is after hours, have someone bring you to the closest emergency room or urgent care center. (Do NOT try to drive yourself. Call an ambulance if necessary.)
Symptoms of HIGH BLOOD SUGAR (Hyperglycemia):
- Extreme thirst
- Frequent urination
- Dry skin
- Blurred Vision
- DECREASED HEALING (This is a MAJOR problem that foot doctors like Dr. Schlam deal with everyday. Decreased healing can cause blisters, open lesions, cuts, and ulcerations to stay open, increasing your chances of infection. Infections can lead to amputations of part of a toe, a whole toe, multiple toes, part of your foot, or even your whole foot.)
What Should I do if I am Having Symptoms of HIGH BLOOD SUGAR?
- Test your blood sugar multiple times throughout the day.
- If you are regularly getting blood sugars of more than 200 mg/dL, call your diabetic doctor.
By: David Schlam, DPM
Hollowbrook Foot Specialists
(845) 298 – 9074