Ten Foot Care Tips for healthier feet in 2014
1. Check your feet once a day to look for cuts, sores, or ulcers. If you have a hard time doing this yourself, ask a friend or loved one to do it for you.
2. Clean your feet daily with a mild soap and warm water. Then dry your feet well; especially between your toes.
3. Moisturize your feet. Use a thick cream lotion on the tops and bottoms of your feet. DO NOT put lotion/cream between your toes. (Be careful as the lotion will make your feet more slippery.)
4. If you can easily reach your feet, trim your toenails straight across, and keep the length in line with the tip of your toes. If you can’t cut your own nails or if you are diabetic, call us at (845) 298 – 9074 for an appointment. Most insurance plans will cover the cost.
5. Wear socks and shoes at all times. This protects you from stepping on things that could hurt you. Choose cotton socks and supportive shoes.
6. Don’t cut off the blood supply to your feet. Prop your feet up while sitting. If you will be seated for a long period of time, make sure to rotate your ankles and bend and straighten your knees every hour.
7. Alternate your shoes. After wearing a pair of shoes, take a day off before wearing them again. This allows the shoes to dry out completely between wears.
8. Apply sunscreen. If you plan on wearing sandals or other open shoes, protect your skin by applying a thin layer of sunscreen.
9. Buy shoes that fit properly. You should go shoe shopping at the end of the day because your feet swell as the day goes on. This way, you can ensure your shoes are a good fit.
10. Visit your podiatrist at least yearly. At your first appointment, you will be advised as to how often you need to come in.
Let Hollowbrook Foot Specialists in Wappingers Falls, NY help you keep your New Year’s Resolution. To start off 2014 on the right foot, schedule your appointment with us today.
By David Schlam