A terrific way to start or break up your workout regiment is by beginning with this simple exercise – WALKING! A fun advantage to living in the Hudson Valley is the endless local locations in which to accomplish these brisk refreshing walks (even during the winter weather)!
- The Rail Trail is a great place to start
- The Walk Way Over the Hudson in Poughkeepsie
- The Roosevelt or Vanderbilt Estates in Hyde Park
- Even just walking around the quant town of Fishkill and supporting our local shops!
- For something a bit more strenuous try hiking up Mt. Beacon it is always a thrill and well worth the long trip to the top!
Walking has many healthy benefits, such as helping with:
- Blood sugar
- Overall improvement of cardiovascular fitness
Walking also releases endorphins that can help:
- Relieve anxiety
- Reduce stress
- Relieve depression
- As well as give the feeling of well-being
However an enjoyable walking or exercise regimen starts with the same thing – HEALTHY FEET! If your feet are hurting it’s time to make an appointment with Dr. David Schlam with Hollowbrook Foot Specialists in Wappinger Falls, NY.
Walking is also fantastic in that the only tool you need is a good pair of shoes. There are three basic foot types in which to keep in mind when picking out your next pair of shoes.
- Normal Feet
- Pronators (people with this type have relatively flat feet)
- Supinators (people with this type have high arches)
Keep reading for next week on how to pick out a good pair of shoes for each foot type and what to look for in your new shoes!
By David Schlam